Monday, April 21, 2008

Rough day

I am saddened sometimes by some of the kids in my class, one in particular. He is a little fellow with no support at home who wasn't able to read until 3 months ago, has never succeeded in school, and knows more than any second grader should ever know. He just breaks my heart. Today was especially one of those days when my heart about cracked open. He had a really rough day, Monday's are normally hard, but today especially. He came in this morning talking about his karate tournament and the WWE (which is nothing new). As the day progressed he managed to get himself to strike 5 (3 is a big deal), so this is over the top. I walked over to him to have a "chat" about his behavior. He looked at me and said, "Miss Cole, why do you even care about me?" I just about lost it. This child has never had anyone believe in him or inspire him or want him to succeed. The success he has made this year is tremendous and I am in shock, however, on days like today I feel like a failure. If you would, please keep this little one in your prayers...he's the kid that all the teachers say will be in a juvenile deliquent center by the time he's 13. I pray this is not so. I want him to succeed so bad, and can't wait to see what he does in the future. I must admit I am excited to have him again next year...hopefully, we can break through the tough guy exterior.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am glad to see you blogging again! I will be keeping the little guy in my prayers. We should get coffee or something sometime. I never see you anymore.