Sunday, November 9, 2008

blessed by the life i've been given...

So, Friday was a bit of an interesting day at school! I know that majority of you who read this remember me talking about a little munchkin. He was in my class last year and is also in my class again this year. He is a piece of work and I love him to death. Last year, we had a ton of behavior issues and he was just wanting attention. I have managed to build a really good relationship with him over the past two years.

When we got back to school this year, we found out he had been initiated into one of the worst gangs in Aurora (realize, he is 9). We have had parents complain of their children being exposed to gang signs, gang pictures, and lingo. Also, we found out that he has pulled knives on kids at the park close to his house. He has also been making sexual innuendos to both boys and girls in our class....ahh, makes my heart break. Well Friday during spelling he was his normal self, joking around, and some foul language got involved (nothing new, of course...we've heard it all out of his mouth). My co-teacher and our paraprofessional ignored the language, as we usually do and he tends to stop. He continued to be disrespectful and then started talking about gang stuff again, how it's cool to hurt kids. Lastly, he was pretending to be smoking weed and offering it to kids around him. At that point, my co took him to the director's office. We come to find draw pictures of weed and joints, along with more of the gang symbols. He was at this point suspended until Wednesday.

I struggle with this situation. Oh, the hours I have spent praying for this kid over the past years. I know the suspension needed to happen in order for mom to maybe wake up, but I know that all he has been doing all weekend long is hanging out with those gang kids. He has more time now where he doesn't have to go to school, so he thinks its a vacation. If you think about this little mister...just pray! I keep hoping that if enough prayers are lifted up, we can change this situation....that's a bit of my heart today. 

2 comments:

Julie said...

Definitely will be praying...situations like these break my heart because the odds become stacked against these kids...but God is not a God of odds...he's one of miracles, power and wisdom. Hang in there - you may be the only consistent person in his life...

Gow_spot said...

wow rissita. that completely breaks my heart.
can't the state do anything with his folks for allowing him to be into pot and all?
oh soo horrible.
i will pray for the lil guy.
and for you two teachers... to know when to punish and when to love and HOW.
soo sad.
praying.

and was blessed beyond words to see you and your appt!